Thursday, December 14, 2006

On the Edge

I am a man on the edge. Not on the edge of sanity or on the edge of some major breakthrough. I am on the edge of abandoning the shackles of social courtesy and of telling them what I actually think. It is not pretty. The thoughts I have, but seldom share, can be mean, sarcastic, and injurious. I also have kind, polite, and happy thoughts, but I am obviously less hesitant about sharing those.
In spite of allegations that I can be cold, distant, or even arrogant, I actually care about other people, and I don't want to cause them pain. This is why I usually keep these thoughts inside. If I am occasionally distant it is to prevent myself from saying the things I am thinking. It is in the best interests of others and not myself that I do this, for while I often do not say out loud what I am thinking, I still have those thoughts. They still exist and I must deal with them. Even though I do not share them, I fume over them, I obsess about them, and I deliberate over what to say, or not to say and how best to deal with each unique situation so that I don't hurt other people with my words.
Regardless of my behavior, there are others who do not feel bound by these types of social courtesies. They are evidently free to say whatever comes to mind, regardless of the impact on others. Their ideas are so well thought out as to be above reproach and only an idiot would disagree. Never mind that their ideas are based entirely on emotion, 5 whole seconds of thought, and a complete lack of factual information.
This, of course, is a broad over-generalization which I have exaggerated for emphasis. Yet, it is often closer to reality than I would care for. And, when I intrude on their social, political, or religious tirade with a contradictory fact or a question that challenges their supreme grasp of a particular topic, I am labeled intolerant, racist, insensitive, or worse. Well, here is where that ends. If they believe I am insensitive face-to-face, where I have deliberately held back as not to cause harm, then wait until they read what I write here (which they most certainly will not).
I am tired of subordinating my thoughts, beliefs and principles just to avoid an emotional outburst from others. There ARE two sides to every issue (at least) and here is where I will record my side. I will do so bluntly and without apology. If you are offended, good. So have I been for too long. Where appropriate I will use the facts at hand as I see them. On other issues, I will simply state my opinion. For instance, God exists. I can't prove He does, and you can't prove He does not, but I believe He does and that is enough for me. If that is not enough for you, then accept it as a point of disagreement and move on, or leave. This is NOT a religious thread, but neither will I shrink away from the topic, as a belief in God is fundamental to the rest of my foundational beliefs.
You see, the difference between what others are doing by carelessly airing their views in public regardless of how they affect others, and the airing of my views here, is that I am forced to hear the opinions of others and you are not forced to hear mine. You are here by choice. You may leave at any time and ignore me forever. I hope you stay. I hope you take the time to read the thoughts of one among you who allows himself to be shouted down in order to preserve the peace. Because, here you will learn that my silence is not agreement.
I have never blogged before. I have never followed anyone else's blog. This is a new experience for me. This first entry serves as my introduction. If you care to learn more about me you will find it in my writing and not in my biography. My goal is one entry per week. I may post more frequently, especially at first, but those are bonus entries. An absence of 5 or 6 days should be considered normal. Your responses are welcome and even hoped for, but personal attacks are not.

No comments: